Skip to Main Content
Getting to know nature: evaluating the effects of the Get to Know Program on children's connectedness with natureAuthor(s): Coral M. Bruni; Patricia L. Winter; P. Wesley Schultz; Allen M. Omoto; Jennifer J. Tabanico
Source: Environmental Education Research. 23(1): 43-62
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
Download Publication (388.0 KB)
DescriptionPeople in industrialized countries may be losing their connection with nature. The Get to Know Program (Get to Know) is a multi-faceted program aimed at encouraging direct connection with nature through a variety of activities (observations of wildlife, hiking, creative arts, and special events), specifically among youth. Three studies assessed the effects of three Get to Know program activities on youth's implicit connectedness with nature (measured using a computer based game). Participants were youth recruited from southern California schools or youth organizations. Participation in the Get to Know Program's Creative Arts Contest was associated with increased implicit connectedness with nature. However, participation in the Get to Know Natural Treasure Adventure and Virtual Hike did not have an effect on connectedness with nature. Implications of these findings are important for agencies seeking to find effective tools for outreach focused on connecting participants with nature. Keywords: connectedness with nature; implicit association
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBruni, Coral M.; Winter, Patricia L.; Schultz, P. Wesley; Omoto, Allen M.; Tabanico, Jennifer J. 2017. Getting to know nature: evaluating the effects of the Get to Know Program on children's connectedness with nature. Environmental Education Research. 23(1): 43-62.
Keywordsconnectedness with nature, implicit association test, environmental program
- Natural history museums may enhance youth's implicit connectedness with nature
- Planning for youth days: planting the SEED to get youth outdoors in nature
- Assumptions about Ecological Scale and Nature Knowing Best Hiding in Environmental Decisions
XML: View XML