Skip to Main Content
Identification of nine pathotype-specific genes conferring resistance to fusiform rust in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.)Author(s): Henry Amerson; C. Dana Nelson; Thomas L. Kubisiak; E.George Kuhlman; Saul Garcia
Source: Forests. 6(8): 2739-2761
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (202.36 KB)
Related Research Highlights
Identification of Fusiform Rust Resistance Genes in loblolly Pine
DescriptionNearly two decades of research on the host-pathogen interaction in fusiform rust of loblolly pine is detailed. Results clearly indicate that pathotype-specific genes in the host interacting with pathogen avirulence cause resistance as defined by the non-gall phenotype under favorable environmental conditions for disease development. In particular, nine fusiform rust resistance genes (Fr genes) are described here including the specific methods to determine each and their localization on the reference genetic map of loblolly pine. Understanding how these and other apparent Fr genes in loblolly pine and other rust-susceptible pines impact resistance screening, parental and progeny selection, and family and clonal deployment is an important area in forest genetics research and operational tree breeding. The documentation of these Fr genes is a key piece of information towards gaining that understanding and ultimately improving breeding and deployment strategies.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAmerson, Henry V.; Nelson, C. Dana; Kubisiak, Thomas L.; Kuhlman, E.George; Garcia, Saul. 2015. Identification of nine pathotype-specific genes conferring resistance to fusiform rust in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.). Forests. 6(8): 2739-2761. 23 p. DOI: 10.3390/f6082739
Keywordshost-pathogen genetics, gene-for-gene interaction, resistance genes, Pinus taeda, Cronartium quercuum f.sp. fusiforme, fusiform rust, Fr genes, genetic markers
- Differential gene expression in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) challenged with the fusiform rust fungus, Cronartium quercuum f.sp. fusiforme
- Bulked fusiform rust inocula and Fr gene interactions in loblolly pine
- Mapping fusiform rust resistance genes within a complex mating design of loblolly pine
XML: View XML