Skip to Main Content
Land-cover composition, water resources and land management in the watersheds of the Luquillo Mountains, northeastern Puerto Rico.Author(s): Tamara Heartsill Scalley; Tania del M. Lopez-Marrero
Source: Caribbean Geography
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: International Institute of Tropical Forestry
PDF: View PDF (687.62 KB)
Related Research Highlights
Land-cover Composition, Water Resources and Land Management in the Watersheds of the Luquillo Mountains, Northeastern Puerto Rico
DescriptionAn important element of the wise use of water-related ecosystem services provided by El Yunque National Forest, located in the Luquillo Mountains in northeastern Puerto Rico, is the facilitation of a clear understanding about the composition of land cover and its relation to water resources at different scales of analysis, management, and decision making. In this study we present the results of a site-specific analysis that identify and quantify the land cover of the watersheds of the main rivers that have their headwaters in El Yunque National Forest and relate land-cover data to three water-quality parameters. Based on the results, we identify watersheds where opportunities are present to engage in immediate actions to sustain water-related ecosystem services.To promote and facilitate knowledge and understanding about land-cover dynamics, watershed-related processes, and water conditions, we present our findings and analyses in a way that can be communicated to a broad range of stakeholders, highlighting the implications of land cover to ecosystem processes and water resources.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHeartsill Scalley, T.; Lopez-Marrero T. del M. 2014. Land-cover composition, water resources and land management in the watersheds of the Luquillo Mountains, northeastern Puerto Rico. Caribbean Geography 19:43-62.
Keywordswater resources, ecosystem services, Puerto Rico
- Improved prediction of stream flow based on updating land cover maps with remotely sensed forest change detection
- El Yunque National Forest Atlas
- Quantifying the role of forested lands in providing surface drinking water supply for Puerto Rico
XML: View XML