Germination and Seed Bank Studies of Macbridea alba (Lamiaceae), a Federally Theatened PlantAuthor(s): Dana Madsen Schulze; Joan Walker; Timothy P. Spira
Source: Castanea 67(3): 280-289, September 2002
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (261.0 KB)
DescriptionMacbridea alba (Lamiaceae) is a Federally threatened plant endemic to Florida. Seedlings are rarely observed in natural populations, but seed production has been documented. We assessed the germinability of dry-stored seeds and of experimentally buried seeds, and sampled soil to detect a persistent seed bank.
More than 20% of recorded seeds germinated prior to collection, either within the calyx (viviparous seedlings) or after dispersal into the collection bag. This pre-collection germination indicated that a significant percentage of seeds lack innate dormancy. An estimated 87% of dry-stored seeds were germinable for six months following dispersal, but viability of dry-stored and of buried seeds was negligible after one year. No seedlings emerged from soil that was field collected just prior to seed dispersal, indicating no persistent seed bank. Seed viability does not appear to limit establishment, but dry conditions coincident with likely autumn establishment may limit seedling safe site availability.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchulze, Dana Madsen; Walker, Joan L.; Spira, Timothy P. 2002. Germination and Seed Bank Studies of Macbridea alba (Lamiaceae), a Federally Theatened Plant. Castanea 67(3): 280-289, September 2002
- Seedfall and seed viability within artificial canopy gaps in a western Washington douglas-fir forest
- Seed longevity and dormancy state in a disturbance-dependent forest herb, Ageratina altissima
- Seed ecology of Lindera melissifolia (Lauraceae) as it relates to rarity of the species
XML: View XML