Skip to Main Content
Simulating phosphorus removal from a vertical-flow constructed wetland grown with C alternifolius speciesAuthor(s): Ying Ouyang; Lihua Cui; Gary Feng; John Read
Source: Ecological Engineering, 77:60-64
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (1.73 MB)
DescriptionVertical flow constructed wetland (VFCW) is a promising technique for removal of excess nutrients and certain pollutants from wastewaters. The aim of this study was to develop a STELLA (structural thinking, experiential learning laboratory with animation) model for estimating phosphorus (P) removal in an artificial VFCW (i.e., a substrate column with six zones) grown with umbrella papyrus (Cyperus alternifolius) species under a wetting-to-drying cycle. Simulations showed that rate of soluble P (SP) leaching was highest at the top zone (i.e., Zone 1) and decreased gradually with increasing zone number due to the adsorption, clogging, and plant uptake when the SP flowed through the zones. Our simulations further revealed that the best time for an optimal removal of SP from the wastewater was within the first week because the adsorption capacity of the substrate in the VFCW was highest at this time period. In general, the cumulative amounts of total P (TP) were in the following order: adsorption (53.3%) > leaching (13.5%) > uptake (0.49%). Adsorption of P was a major mechanism for P removal from the VFCW system. This study suggested that the STELLA model developed is a useful tool for estimating P removal from wastewater in VFCWs.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationOuyang, Ying; Cui, Lihua; Feng, Gary; Read, John. 2015. Simulating phosphorus removal from a vertical-flow constructed wetland grown with C alternifolius species. Ecological Engineering, 77:60-64. 5 p. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2015.01.004
KeywordsConstructed wetland, Growing plant, P dynamics, STELLA, Vertical flow
- A STELLA model to estimate water and nitrogen dynamics in a short-rotation woody crop plantation
- Pathways and mechanisms for removal of dissolved organic carbon from leaf leachate in streams
- A STELLA model to estimate soil CO2 emissions from a short-rotation woody crop
XML: View XML