Skip to Main Content
Procambarus (Girardiella) holifieldi, a new species of crayfish (Decapoda: Cambaridae) from Alabama with a revision of the Hagenianus Group in the subgenus GirardiellaAuthor(s): Guenter A. Schuster; Christopher A. Taylor; Susan B. Adams
Source: Zootaxa 4021(1): 1-32
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (16.25 MB)
DescriptionProcambarus (Girardiella) holifieldi, new species, is a primary burrowing crayfish from a low-lying field in Perry County, Alabama. It belongs to the Hagenianus Group in the subgenus Girardiella. The new species is morphologically most similar to Procambarus (Girardiella) barbiger. They differ in the size and shape of the caudal processes. Procambarus barbiger has a beard along the mesial margin of the palm of the chela, while the new species lacks the beard. In addition to the description of the new species, the Hagenianus Group is reviewed and new synonymies are provided. We demonstrate that a cephalic process is indeed present in the Hagenianus Group.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchuster, Guenter A.; Taylor, Christopher A.; Adams, Susan B. 2015. Procambarus (Girardiella) holifieldi, a new species of crayfish (Decapoda: Cambaridae) from Alabama with a revision of the Hagenianus Group in the subgenus Girardiella. Zootaxa. 4021(1): 1-32.
KeywordsProcambarus, Girardiella, Hagenianus Group, Gracilis Group, new species, crayfish
- An overview of native and invasive crayfish in Mississippi and Alabama
- Comparison of Two Crayfish Trapping Methods in Coastal Plain Seasonal Wetlands
- Habitat use and life history of the vernal crayfish, Procambarus viaeviridis (Faxon, 1914), a secondary burrowing crayfish in Mississippi, USA
XML: View XML