Skip to Main Content
Application of a statistical emulator to fire emission modelingAuthor(s): Marwan Katurji; Jovanka Nikolic; Shiyuan Zhong; Scott Pratt; Lejiang Yu; Warren E. Heilman
Source: Environmental Modelling & Software. 73: 254-259.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (1.62 MB)
DescriptionWe have demonstrated the use of an advanced Gaussian-Process (GP) emulator to estimate wildland fire emissions over a wide range of fuel and atmospheric conditions. The Fire Emission Production Simulator, or FEPS, is used to produce an initial set of emissions data that correspond to some selected values in the domain of the input fuel and atmospheric parameters for the purpose of training the emulator. The emulated emissions are found to be within ±5% of the FEPS simulated emissions, providing confidence in the potential use of the GP-emulator for this and other similar applications. Cluster analysis for 1000 emulator-produced posterior samples spanning a wide-range of fuel and environmental conditions suggest that the emulator not only produces valid results but also preserves the physical relationships between the fire emission and the fuel and environmental conditions. Results show that the GP-emulator could be used as an alternative to the simulations from the FEPS modeling system when four or more input parameters related to fuel type, fuel moisture, and weather condition are allowed to vary. This work also provides a conceptual basis for constructing a nation-wide emissions inventory based on a trained GP-emulator representing the complex geographic distribution of fuel types and environmental conditions.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKaturji, Marwan; Nikolic, Jovanka; Zhong, Shiyuan; Pratt, Scott; Yu, Lejiang; Heilman, Warren E. 2015. Application of a statistical emulator to fire emission modeling. Environmental Modelling & Software. 73: 254-259.
KeywordsFire emission, Statistical emulator, Simulator, FEPS, Emission prediction, Gaussian processes
- Optimizing smoke and plume rise modeling approaches at local scales
- A wildland fire emission inventory for the western United States - uncertainty across spatial and temporal scales
- Field guide for identifying fuel loading models
XML: View XML