Skip to Main Content
Production of bio-oil from underutilized forest biomass using an auger reactorAuthor(s): H. Ravindran; S. Thangalzhy-Gopakumar; S. Adhikari; O. Fasina; M. Tu; B. Via; E. Carter; S. Taylor
Source: Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, 37:7, 750-757
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (157.35 KB)
DescriptionConversion of underutilized forest biomass to bio-oil could be a niche market for energy production. In this work, bio-oil was produced from underutilized forest biomass at selected temperatures between 425–500°C using an auger reactor. Physical properties of bio-oil, such as pH, density, heating value, ash, and water, were analyzed and compared with an ASTM standard to document the effect of pyrolysis temperature. All of the properties analyzed in this study, except for the ash content of the bio-oil, met the ASTM standard. Chemical composition of bio-oil was also analyzed, and the concentration of each species was compared at different temperatures.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRavindran, H.; Thangalzhy-Gopakumar, S.; Adhikari, S.; Fasina, O.; Tu, M.; Via, B.; Carter, E.; Taylor, S. 2015. Production of bio-oil from underutilized forest biomass using an auger reactor. Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, 37:7, 750-757. 10 p. DOI: 10.1080/15567036.2011.613894
Keywordsauger reactor, bio-char, bio-oil, fast pyrolysis, underutilized forest biomass
- Effects of carbonization conditions on properties of bamboo pellets
- Portable in-woods pyrolysis: Using forest biomass to reduce forest fuels, increase soil productivity, and sequester carbon
- Comparative Properties of Bamboo and Rice Straw Pellets
XML: View XML