Skip to Main Content
New York Forests, 2012Author(s): Richard H. Widmann; Sloane Crawford; Cassandra M. Kurtz; Mark D. Nelson; Patrick D. Miles; Randall S. Morin; Rachel Riemann
Source: Resource Bulletin NRS-98. Newtown Square, PA: U.S Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 128 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (7.55 MB)
DescriptionThis report summarizes the second annual inventory of New York's forests, conducted in 2008-2012. New York's forests cover 19.0 million acres; 15.9 million acres are classified as timberland and 3.1 million acres as reserved and other forest land. Forest land is dominated by the maple/beech/birch forest-type group that occupies more than half of the forest land. The sound wood volume on timberland has been rising and is currently 37.4 billion cubic feet, enough to produce saw logs equivalent to 93.7 billion board feet. On timberland, the average annual growth in volume of live trees outpaced removals by a ratio of 2.1:1. The net change in volume averaged 1.1 percent per year. This report includes additional information on forest attributes, land use, forest fragmentation, forest ownership, forest health indicators, timber products, statistics, and quality assurance of data collection. Detailed information on forest inventory methods and data quality are available online at http://dx.doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RB-98.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWidmann, Richard H.; Crawford, Sloane; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; Nelson, Mark D.; Miles, Patrick D.; Morin, Randall S.; Riemann, Rachel. 2015. New York Forests, 2012. Resource Bulletin NRS-98. Newtown Square, PA: U.S Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 128 p. http://dx.doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RB-98
XML: View XML