Skip to Main Content
JnCML-like, an EF-hand motif-containing gene seasonally upregulated in the transition zone of black walnut (Juglans nigra L.)Author(s): Zhonglian Huang; Priyanka Surana; Daisuke Kihara; Richard Meilan; Keith Woeste
Source: American Journal of Molecular Biology. 1: 140-155.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (0 B)
DescriptionThe economic value of a black walnut (Juglans nigra L.) tree is strongly determined by the quality and quantity of darkly colored heartwood in its stem. To understand the regulation of heartwood formation, we analyzed the region of heartwood formation in walnut stems (i.e., the transition zone, TZ) for the expression of 80 ESTs. Semi-quantitative RT-PCR and real-time PCR was performed to detect expres-sion changes of candidate genes in the TZ and sap-wood of trees harvested in summer and fall. Results revealed that the transcript of a clone containing two presumed EF-hand motifs was expressed at higher levels in the TZ than in other xylem tissues. Analysis of the full-length coding sequence revealed that the black walnut gene JnCML-like is similar to grancal-cin-like calcium-binding EF hand proteins in Arabidopsis thaliana (At3g10300) and Zea mays (NM 001153810). A model of the predicted structure of JnCML-like showed it is similar to grancalcin and m-calpain, penta-EF-hand family proteins associated with cell proliferation, differentiation and program- med cell death. JnCML-like transcript was detected in tissue from the region of the pith meristem, and in roots, embryogenic callus, vascular cambium, female flowers, male flowers, green leaves, and partially and fully senescent leaves of black walnut, although tran-script abundance varied considerably among these tissues.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHuang, Zhonglian; Surana, Priyanka; Kihara, Daisuke; Meilan, Richard; Woeste, Keith. 2011. JnCML-like, an EF-hand motif-containing gene seasonally upregulated in the transition zone of black walnut (Juglans nigra L.). American Journal of Molecular Biology. 1: 140-155.
KeywordsTransition Zone, M-Calpain, Juglans nigra, Grancalcin
- Sustainability of corn stover harvest strategies in Pennsylvania
- Assessing the impacts of crop-rotation and tillage on crop yields and sediment yield using a modeling approach
- Food preferences of captive wild raccoons, Procyon lotor, from east Texas
XML: View XML