Skip to Main Content
Silviculture guide for the mahogany forests of Quintana Roo, Mexico – Criteria and recommendationsAuthor(s): P. Negreros-Castillo; L. Cámara-Cabrales; Margaret Devall; M.A. Fajvan; M.A. Mendoza Briseño; C.W. Mize
Source: Book - Comisión Nacional Forestal, Mexico, D.F
Publication Series: Book
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (16.0 MB)
DescriptionSilviculture is the art, science and practice of controlling the establishment, composition, health, quality and growth of forests to accomplish a set of management objectives. This publication offers an approach to silviculture of the forests of Quintana Roo in which mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla King), the commercially most important tree species in Latin America, is found (Whitmore 2003). We designate these forests as mahogany forests. Much silvicultural knowledge has been gained by studying and observing which practices have or have not achieved the expected results in practice. This publication functions as a road map of technologically feasible options for the management of mahogany forests. It offers suggestions on how to develop silvicultural regimens for multiple objectives that are compatible with production of multiple forest products with emphasis on wood for industrial uses. It is hoped that by combining theory with context, those responsible for managing mahogany forests can create their own designs as well as validate and apply local knowledge and experience that they gather as they manage the mahogany forests of Quintana Roo
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNegreros-Castillo, P.; Cámara-Cabrales, L.; Devall, M.S.; Fajvan, M.A.; Mendoza Briseño, M.A.; Mize, C.W.; Navarro-Martínez A. 2014. Silviculture guide for the mahogany forests of Quintana Roo, Mexico – Criteria and recommendations. Spanish/English. Comisión Nacional Forestal, Mexico, D.F. 186 pp.
- Silviculture of the mahogany forest of Quintana Roo, Mexico: criteria and recommendations
- Competition among surface roots in a selectively-logged, semi-deciduous forest in southeastern Mexico - effects on seedlings of two species of contrasting shade tolerance
- Conservative nutrient use by big-leaf mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla King) planted under contrasting environmental conditions
XML: View XML