Skip to Main Content
Forest Service National Visitor Use Monitoring Process: Research Method DocumentationAuthor(s): Donald B.K. English; Susan M. Kocis; Stanley J. Zarnoch; J. Ross Arnold
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-57. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 14 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (83 KB)
DescriptionIn response to the need for improved information on recreational use of National Forest System lands, the authors have developed a nationwide, systematic monitoring process. This report documents the methods they used in estimating recreational use on an annual basis. The basic unit of measure is exiting volume of visitors from a recreation site on a given day. Sites are stratified by type. Days are stratified by expected volume of exiting recreation visitors. A double sampling strategy is the primary means used to obtain measures of exiting recreation traffic. Where possible, observable counts of other measures highly correlated with visitation, such as fee envelopes, ski lift tickets, or concessionaire reports, are used to reduce variation in visitation estimates. In addition to showing how sampling units were defined, the authors also provide calculations they used in developing estimators for the mean and variance of visitation.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEnglish, Donald B.K.; Kocis, Susan M.; Zarnoch, Stanley J.; Arnold, J. Ross. 2002. Forest Service National Visitor Use Monitoring Process: Research Method Documentation. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-57. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 14 p.
KeywordsMonitoring, National Visitor Use Monitoring, NVUM, recreation use, research methods, sampling, wilderness
- A Pilot Sampling Design for Estimating Outdoor Recreation Site Visits on the National Forests
- Designing a sampling system for concurrently measuring outdoor recreation visitation and describing visitor characteristics
- The National Visitor Use Monitoring methodology and final results for round 1
XML: View XML