Skip to Main Content
Dynamic determination of modulus of elasticity of full-size wood composite panels using a vibration methodAuthor(s): Cheng Guan; Houjiang Zhang; Lujing Zhou; Xiping Wang
Source: Construction and Building Materials
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (873.0 KB)
DescriptionA vibration testing method based on free vibration theory in a ‘‘free–free” support condition was investigated for evaluating the modulus of elasticity (MOE) of full-size wood composite panels (WCPs). Vibration experiments were conducted on three types of WCPs (medium density fibreboard, particleboard, and plywood) to determine the dynamic MOE of the panels. Static bending test was performed on small specimens cut from the panels to determine the static MOE. A strong linear relationship was found between dynamic MOE of full size panels and static MOE of small specimens. Dynamic MOE of full-size WCPs was found 6.2% higher than the corresponding static MOE. This study demonstrated that free vibration method has a good potential to be used in WCP manufacturing facilities as a quality control procedure.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGuan, Cheng; Zhang, Houjiang; Zhou, Lujing; Wang, Xiping. 2015. Dynamic determination of modulus of elasticity of full-size wood composite panels using a vibration method. Construction and Building Materials. 100: 201-206.
KeywordsFull-size wood composite panel, Modulus of elasticity, Free–free support free vibration, Dynamic determination
- Evaluation of modulus of elasticity and modulus of rupture of full-size wood composite panels supported on two nodal-lines using a vibration technique
- Measurement of Dynamic Viscoelasticity of Full-Size Wood Composite Panels Using a Vibration Testing Method
- Determining shear modulus of thin wood composite materials using a cantilever beam vibration method
XML: View XML