Skip to Main Content
Microwave flexible transistors on cellulose nanofibrillated fiber substratesAuthor(s): Jung-Hun Seo; Tzu-Hsuan Chang; Jaeseong Lee; Ronald Sabo; Weidong Zhou; Zhiyong Cai; Shaoqin Gong; Zhenqiang Ma
Source: Applied Physics Letters
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (2.0 MB)
DescriptionIn this paper, we demonstrate microwave flexible thin-film transistors (TFTs) on biodegradable substrates towards potential green portable devices. The combination of cellulose nanofibrillated fiber (CNF) substrate, which is a biobased and biodegradable platform, with transferrable single crystalline Si nanomembrane (Si NM), enables the realization of truly biodegradable, flexible, and high performance devices. Double-gate flexible Si NM TFTs built on a CNF substrate have shown an electron mobility of 160 cm2/V•s and ƒT and ƒmax of 4.9GHz and 10.6 GHz, respectively. This demonstration proves the microwave frequency capability and, considering today’s wide spread use of wireless devices, thus indicates the much wider utility of CNF substrates than that has been demonstrated before. The demonstration may also pave the way toward portable green devices that would generate less persistent waste and save more valuable resources
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSeo, Jung-Hun; Chang, Tzu-Hsuan; Lee, Jaeseong; Sabo, Ronald; Zhou, Weidong; Cai, Zhiyong; Gong, Shaoqin; Ma, Zhenqiang. 2015. Microwave flexible transistors on cellulose nanofibrillated fiber substrates. Applied Physics Letters. 106(26): 262101-1--262101-4.
KeywordsCellulose Nanofibrils, Thin film transistors (TFTs), flexible electronics, silicon nanomembrane (Si NM), biodegradable
- High-performance green flexible electronics based on biodegradable cellulose nanofibril paper
- Characterizations of biodegradable epoxy-coated cellulose nanofibrils (CNF) thin film for flexible microwave applications
- Triboelectric nanogenerators and power-boards from cellulose nanofibrils and recycled materials
XML: View XML