An eDNA assay for river otter detection: A tool for surveying a semi-aquatic mammalAuthor(s): Ticha M. Padgett-Stewart; Taylor M. Wilcox; Kellie J. Carim; Kevin S. McKelvey; Michael K. Young; Michael K. Schwartz
Source: Conservation Genetics Resources. 8: 5-7.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (245.0 KB)
Environmental DNA (eDNA) is an effective tool for the detection of elusive or low-density aquatic organisms. However, it has infrequently been applied to mammalian species. North American river otters (Lontra canadensis) are both broad ranging and semi-aquatic, making them an ideal candidate for examining the uses of eDNA for detection of mammals. We developed a speciesspecific assay for detection of North American river otters using eDNA. The assay was tested for specificity against closely-related mustelids native to western North America, and was validated through testing environmental samples.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPadgett-Stewart, Ticha M.; Wilcox, Taylor M.; Carim, Kellie J.; McKelvey, Kevin S.; Young, Michael K.; Schwartz, Michael K. 2016. An eDNA assay for river otter detection: A tool for surveying a semi-aquatic mammal. Conservation Genetics Resources. 8: 5-7.
Keywordsenvironmental DNA, river otters, semiaquatic mammals, survey
- Discovery of 20,000 RAD-SNPs and development of a 52-SNP array for monitoring river otters
- Use of historically fishless high-mountain lakes and streams by neartic River Otters (Lontra canadensis) in California
- Using environmental DNA sampling to monitor the invasion of nonnative Esox lucius (northern pike) in the Columbia River basin, USA
XML: View XML