Serologic survey for viral and bacterial infections in western populations of Canada Lynx (Lynx canadensis)Author(s): Roman Biek; Randall L. Zarnke; Colin Gillin; Margaret Wild; John R. Squires; Mary Poss
Source: Journal of Wildlife Diseases. 38(4): 840-845.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (47.0 KB)
A serologic survey for exposure to pathogens in Canada lynx (Lynx canadensis) in western North America was conducted. Samples from 215 lynx from six study areas were tested for antibodies to feline parvovirus (FPV), feline coronavirus, canine distemper virus, feline calicivirus, feline herpesvirus, Yersinia pestis, and Francisella tularensis. A subset of samples was tested for feline immunodeficiency virus; all were negative. For all other pathogens, evidence for exposure was found in at least one location. Serologic evidence for FPV was found in all six areas but was more common in southern populations. Also, more males than females showed evidence of exposure to FPV. Overall, prevalences were low and did not exceed 8% for any of the pathogens tested. This suggests that free-ranging lynx rarely encounter common feline pathogens.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
Biek, Roman; Zarnke, Randall L.; Gillin, Colin; Wild, Margaret; Squires, John R.; Poss, Mary. 2002. Serologic survey for viral and bacterial infections in western populations of Canada Lynx (Lynx canadensis). Journal of Wildlife Diseases. 38(4): 840-845.
KeywordsCanada lynx, canine distemper virus, feline calicivirus, feline coronavirus, feline herpesvirus, feline immunodeficiency virus, feline parvovirus, FIV, Francisella tularensis, Lynx canadensis, serologic survey, Yersinia pestis
- A longevity record for Canada lynx, Lynx canadensis, in western Montana
- Canada lynx-bobcat (Lynx canadensis x L. rufus) hybrids at the southern periphery of lynx range in Maine, Minnesota and New Brunswick
- A snow-tracking protocol used to delineate local lynx, Lynx canadensis, distributions
XML: View XML