Skip to Main Content
Physical activity levels and preferences of ethnically diverse visitors to Georgia State ParksAuthor(s): Lincoln Larson; Jason W. Whiting; Gary T. Green; Michael Bowker
Source: Journal of Leisure Research
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionParks provide many outdoor recreation opportunities that encourage physical activity and healthy lifestyles, and research has recently begun to explore the demographic, social, and environmental factors associated with park-based activity levels, particularly outside of urban areas. This study used a mixed methods approach to investigate physical activity levels and correlates among demographically diverse state park visitors in Georgia. Data were collected during summer 2010 via onsite intercept surveys (n = 1,073) and structured observations of visitor behavior (n = 9,453 individuals observed). Analyses revealed substantial levels of activity during park visits and highlighted links between socially oriented recreation participation and park-based physical activity, particularly for Latinos and African Americans. Results could provide park managers with insightful information for promoting and sustaining park-based physical activity across diverse communities.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLarson, Lincoln.; Whiting, Jason W.; Green, Gary T.; Bowker, J.M. 2014. Physical activity levels and preferences of ethnically diverse visitors to Georgia State Parks. Journal of Leisure Research 46(5): 540-562. 23 p.
Keywordsmixed methods, outdoor recreation, physical activity, race/ethnicity, state parks
- Physical activity of youth in non-urban parks: an observation-based assessment
- Physical activity locations in Georgia: frequency of use by socio-demographic group
- Visitor constraints to physical activity in park and recreation areas: differences by race and ethnicity
XML: View XML