Skip to Main Content
The value of an urban forestAuthor(s): Richard A. Hallett
Source: Urbane Walder. 20:22-24.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (230.0 KB)
DescriptionWhat good is a tree or a forest in a city? Or more precisely how much is it worth to the people of the city? In ancient Greece, gods were worshipped in groves of trees and trees were sacred. In Germany the Linden tree was believed to help unearth the truth and judicial meetings were held under a Linden tree. Today, in our industrial forests we value timber based on market prices for cubic meters of lumber, or tons of biomass. In cities, though, we don't grow trees as a marketable product - so how much is a tree worth in a city? Perhaps to someone like Aldo Leopold, we are simply demonstrating our ignorance by trying to quantify the value of a plant, but so often it seems our society is driven by monetary considerations. That means that a decision that requires additional public resources, like planting or caring for a tree, must be justified by an analysis of cost and benefit.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHallett, Richard A. 2013. The value of an urban forest. Urbane Walder. 20:22-24.
- It's not easy going green: Obstacles to tree-planting programs in East Baltimore
- Benefits and costs of street trees in Lisbon
- Impact of urban environmental pollution on growth, leaf damage, and chemical constituents of Warsaw urban trees
XML: View XML