Skip to Main Content
Projection methodsAuthor(s): Michael E. Goerndt; W. Keith Moser; Patrick D. Miles; Dave Wear; Ryan D. DeSantis; Robert J. Huggett; Stephen R. Shifley; Francisco X. Aguilar; Kenneth E. Skog
Source: In: Shifley, Stephen R.; Moser, W. Keith, eds. Future forests of the northern United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-151. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 13-42. Chapter 2.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (4.0 MB)
DescriptionOne purpose of the Northern Forest Futures Project is to predict change in future forest attributes across the 20 States in the U.S. North for the period that extends from 2010 to 2060. The forest attributes of primary interest are the 54 indicators of forest sustainability identified in the Montreal Process Criteria and Indicators (Montreal Process Working Group, n.d.; USDA FS 2011). However, some indictors are virtually impossible to forecast for future decades, so we concentrated on the forest characteristics that have quantitative or experiential bases for forecasting future change. When possible, future forest attributes for individual States were projected and summarized, and then aggregated to estimate change for the North.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGoerndt, Michael E.; Moser, W. Keith; Miles, Patrick D.; Wear, David N.; DeSantis, Ryan D.; Huggett, Robert J., Jr.; Shifley, Stephen R.; Aguilar, Francisco X.; Skog, Kenneth E. 2016. Projection methods. In: Shifley, Stephen R.; Moser, W. Keith, eds. Future forests of the northern United States. Gen. Tech Rep. NRS-151. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. Chapter 2: 13-42.
- Future forests of the northern United States
- Executive Summary: Forests of the Northern United States
- Maintenance of productive capacity of forest ecosystems
XML: View XML