Skip to Main Content
Conservation of biological diversityAuthor(s): Brian G. Tavernia; Mark D. Nelson; Rachel Riemann; Brent Dickinson; W. Keith Moser; Barry T. (Ty) Wilson; James D. Garner
Source: In: Shifley, Stephen R.; Moser, W. Keith, eds. Future forests of the northern United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-151. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 43-76. Chapter 3.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (8.0 MB)
DescriptionPeople enjoy a variety of ecosystem services, or benefits, from forests, including water purification, recreation, income from tourism, timber products, and the cultural and economic benefits from hunting, fishing, and gathering (Shvidenko et al. 2005). Across the Northern United States, growing human populations will place increased service demands on forests for the foreseeable future. The type, magnitude, and stability of future services from northern forests will depend in part on the level of biological diversity in those forests.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTavernia, Brian G.; Nelson, Mark D.; Riemann, Rachel; Dickinson, Brent; Moser, W. Keith; Wilson, B. Tyler; Garner, James D. 2016. Conservation of biological diversity. In: Shifley, Stephen R.; Moser, W. Keith, eds. Future forests of the northern United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-151. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 43-76. Chapter 3.
- Ecosystem services: a new NRS-FIA analytical science initiative
- The outlook for northern forests
- The Northern Forest Futures Project: A forward look at forest conditions in the northern United States
XML: View XML