Skip to Main Content
Maintenance of productive capacity of forest ecosystemsAuthor(s): W. Keith Moser; Patrick D. Miles; Aimee Stephens; Dale D. Gormanson; Stephen R. Shifley; Dave Wear; Robert J. Huggett; Ruhong Li
Source: In: Shifley, Stephen R.; Moser, W. Keith, eds. Future forests of the northern United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-151. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 77-106. Chapter 4.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (7.0 MB)
DescriptionThis chapter reports projected changes in forest area, age, volume, biomass, number of trees, and removals from 2010 to 2060 for alternative scenarios that bracket a range of possible future socioeconomic and climate conditions in the Northern United States, which consists of 20 central and northeastern States. As described in Chapter 2, the scenarios incorporate different assumptions about population growth, economic development, land-use change, carbon emissions, and climate change. Changes in forest attributes over time for each scenario were estimated using the Forest Dynamics Model (Wear et al. 2013). The information presented in this chapter, more than any other, is directly derived from projections of changing forest conditions for each scenario as modeled by the Forest Dynamics Model.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMoser, W. Keith; Miles, Patrick D.; Stephens, Aimee; Gormanson, Dale D.; Shifley, Stephen R.; Wear, David N.; Huggett, Robert J., Jr.; Li, Ruhong. 2016. Maintenance of productive capacity of forest ecosystems. In: Shifley, Stephen R.; Moser, W. Keith, eds. Future forests of the northern United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-151. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 77-106. Chapter 4.
- Northern Forest Futures reporting tools and database guide
- Projecting climate change in the United States: A technical document supporting the Forest Service RPA 2010 Assessment
- Evaluating the ecological sustainability of a pinyon-juniper grassland ecosystem in northern Arizona
XML: View XML