Skip to Main Content
The outlook for northern forestsAuthor(s): Stephen R. Shifley; W. Keith Moser; Sherri Wormstead; Francisco X. Aguilar
Source: In: Shifley, Stephen R.; Moser, W. Keith, eds. Future forests of the northern United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-151. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 299-313. Chapter 11.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (6.0 MB)
DescriptionThe forests of the Northern United States have been remarkably resilient to nearly four centuries of immigration and settlement with associated anthropogenic disturbances caused by farming, logging, burning, urbanization, trade, and many other factors. Although resilient, forests conditions have been significantly impacted by humans as is illustrated by the extent of forest land use changes or the introduction of exotic, invasive species. Unquestionably, society has shaped the composition and structure of Northern Forests and will continue to do so in the future. The future holds many uncertainties, but identification of clear trends and analyses of alternative future scenarios can help managers, decisionmakers, and the public at large prioritize the most pressing challenges to sustaining healthy, resilient forests that produce a desirable blend of commodities and ecosystem services.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShifley, Stephen R.; Moser, W. Keith; Wormstead, Sherri; Aguilar, Francisco X. 2016. The outlook for northern forests. In: Shifley, Stephen R.; Moser, W. Keith, eds. Future forests of the northern United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-151. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 299-313. Chapter 11.
- Conservation of biological diversity
- Criterion 3: Maintenance of forest ecosystem health and vitality
- Considerations for forest adaptation to climate change in sustainable production of wood/fiber/biomass and ecosystem services
XML: View XML