Skip to Main Content
Studies on West Indian Scolytidae (Coleoptera) 4: A review of the Scolytidae of Puerto Rico, U.S.A with descriptions of one new genus, fourteen new species and notes on new synonymy (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)Author(s): D.E. Bright; J.A. Torres
Source: Koleopterologische Rundschau. 76: 389–428
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: International Institute of Tropical Forestry
PDF: Download Publication (539.0 KB)
DescriptionA comprehensive biodiversity study of the Scolytidae (Coleoptera) of Puerto Rico, USA has been underway for several years. Seventy-one species are now recorded from the island. One new genus, Allothenemus, is described with Allothenemus minutus new species, as the type species. An additional 13 new species are described: Chramesus atlanticus, Scolytodes puertoricensis, S. atlanticus, Pseudothysanoes magnispinatus, Hypothenemus amplissimus, H. concavifrons, Trischidias puertoricensis, Xyleborus atlanticus, Theoborus puertoricensis, Coptoborus bellus, Xyleborinus insulosus, Pityophthorus convexicollis, and Corthylus insularis. Twenty-one species are recorded from Puerto Rico for the first time. Four new cases of synonymy are reported: Dryocoetoides cristatus (FABRICIUS) (= Dryocoetoides caracicolai HOPKINS, syn.n.), Hypothenemus crudiae (PANZER) (= Stephanoderes trinitatis HOPKINS, syn.n.) and Monarthrum mali (FITCH) (= Pterocyclon praeustum EGGERS, syn.n., and Pterocyclon omissum SCHEDL, syn.n.). Two species, Hypothenemus hampei WESTWOOD and Xyleborus xylographus (SAY), are deleted from the Puerto Rican list. New host records for several species are reported.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBright, D.E.; Torres, J.A. 2006. Studies on West Indian Scolytidae (Coleoptera) 4: A review of the Scolytidae of Puerto Rico, U.S.A. with descriptions of one new genus, fourteen new species and notes on new synonymy (Coleoptera: Scolytidae). Koleopterologische Rundschau. 76: 389–428.
KeywordsColeoptera, Scolytidae, West Indies, new species, new records, new synonymy, taxonomy
- New species of Cerambycidae from Panama, with new distribution records (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae)
- Genetic variation among mountain pine beetle (Dendroctonus ponderosae) (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) populations from seven western states
- Six new species of anoetid mites associated with North American scolytidae
XML: View XML