Skip to Main Content
3-Hexyl-5-Methylindolizidine isomers from thief ants Solenopsis (Diplorhoptrum) speciesAuthor(s): J.S.T. Gorman; T.H. Jones; T.F. Spande; R.R. Snelling; J.A. Torres; H.M. Garraffo
Source: Journal of Chemical Ecology. 24(5):933-943
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: International Institute of Tropical Forestry
PDF: Download Publication (540.0 KB)
DescriptionThe venom alkaloids from the workers of nine collections of Solenopsis (Diplorhoptrum) from California contain either (5E,9E)-3-hexyl-5- methylindolizidine (Ic) or (SZ,9E)-3-hexyl-5-methylindolizidine (Id) along with cis-2-methyl-6-nonylpiperidine. The structures of these compounds were determined from their mass spectra and by comparison of their GC-FTIR spectra with those of a synthetic mixture. In view of the facts that a third diastereomer of 3-hexyl-5-methylindolizidine had been reported in previous collections of Solenopsis (Diplorhoptrum) queens from Puerto Rico, and that indolizidines along with other ant venom alkaloids are sequestered by amphibians, the determination of species in this difficult group of ants is significant. In particular, the chemotaxonomic value of the stereochemistry of these venom alkaloids is discussed.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGorman, J.S.T.; Jones, T.H.; Spande, T.F.; Snelling, R.R.; Torres, J.A.; Garraffo, H.M. 1998. 3-Hexyl-5-Methylindolizidine isomers from thief ants Solenopsis (Diplorhoptrum) species. Journal of Chemical Ecology. 24(5):933-943.
KeywordsVenom, alkaloids, Solenopsis (Diplorhoptrum), indolizidine, chemotaxonomy
- Chemistry of venom alkaloids in some Solenopsis (Diplorhoptrum) species from Puerto Rico
- Occurrence and significance of decahydroquinolines from dendrobatid poison frogs and a Myrmicine ant: Use of 1H and 13C NMR in their conformational analysis
- Aspectos ecologicos, toxicologicos y agricolas de la hormiga brasileña Solenopsis invicta
XML: View XML