Skip to Main Content
(Eds.) Proceedings: Mass Timber Research Workshop 2015Author(s): Tom Williamson; Robert J. Ross
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (54.0 MB)
DescriptionThis report summarizes the proceedings, including key points and identified research needs, that evolved from the Mass Timber Research Workshop, which was held at the USDA Forest Products Laboratory (FPL), November 3–4, 2015. The purpose of the workshop was to bring design professionals, researchers, and industry leaders together to examine the state-of-the-art in mass timber construction, with an emphasis on cross-laminated timber, and to identify technical barriers to the broader use of wood in engineered structures that need to be addressed. Following a plenary session on mass timber in North America, some 120 scientists, engineers, and industry leaders heard presentations organized in four technical areas: (1) resistance to lateral loads, (2) building performance—durability, sound, vibration, and life cycle assessment, (3) fire safety, and (4) material resources and other research topics. Breakout sessions aimed at identifying future research objectives were then held for each of the four technical areas, followed by a prioritization of future research needs. Included in these proceedings are abstracts from each presentation, copies of all presentations and a summary of research needs.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWilliamson, Tom; Ross, Robert J. (Eds.) 2016. Proceedings: Mass Timber Research Workshop 2015. General Technical Report FPL-GTR- 241. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 364 pp.
KeywordsMass timber, cross-laminated timber, wood construction, engineered wood structures
- Research needs assessment for the mass timber industry: Proceedings of the 2nd North American mass timber research needs workshop
- Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation of Wood—50 Years of Research: International Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation of Wood Symposium Series
- Rio Grande ecosystems: linking land, water, and people: Toward a sustainable future for the Middle Rio Grande Basin
XML: View XML