Skip to Main Content
Nevada Photo-Based Inventory Pilot (NPIP) resource estimates (2004-2005)Author(s): Tracey S. Frescino; Gretchen G. Moisen; Paul L. Patterson; Elizabeth A. Freeman; James Menlove
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-344. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 59 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (17.0 MB)
DescriptionThe complex nature of broad-scale, strategic-level inventories, such as the Forest Inventory and Analysis program (FIA) of the USDA Forest Service, demands constant evolution and evaluation of methods to get the best information possible while continuously increasing efficiency. The State of Nevada is predominantly comprised of nonforested Federal lands with a small proportion of forest land dominated by non-commercial, woodland tree species. In 2004, a pilot study named the Nevada Photo-Based Inventory Pilot (NPIP) was initiated for Nevada using large-scale aerial photography to obtain ancillary information for inventory of forest land and lands not traditionally sampled by FIA, such as rangelands and riparian areas. Objectives of the pilot included development of photo-sampling protocol, statistical estimators, quality control procedures, and cost analyses. This report augments FIA's standard forest reporting by providing new estimates on both forest and nonforest components of Nevada's landscape to include area by cover type, prevalence of non-traditional elements such as disturbance and riparian, and an in-depth analysis of cover distributions. In addition, 250-m (820-ft) resolution maps of species' distributions, live tree cover, and vegetation condition type are also provided.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFrescino, Tracey S.; Moisen, Gretchen G.; Patterson, Paul L.; Freeman, Elizabeth A.; Menlove, James. 2016. Nevada Photo-Based Inventory Pilot (NPIP) resource estimates (2004-2005). Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-344. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 59 p.
Keywordsphoto-based inventory, Nevada, photo interpretation, quality control, large-scale aerial photography (LSP), species distribution maps, cover
- Nevada Photo-Based Inventory Pilot (NPIP) photo sampling procedures
- Using interpreted large scale aerial photo data to enhance satellite-based mapping and explore forest land definitions
- Photo-based estimators for the Nevada photo-based inventory
XML: View XML