Skip to Main Content
Building the Forest Inventory and Analysis Tree-Ring Data setAuthor(s): Robert J. DeRose; John D. Shaw; James N. Long
Source: Journal of Forestry. 115(4): 283-291.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (2.0 MB)
Related Research Highlights
Building the Forest Inventory and Analysis Tree-ring Dataset
DescriptionThe Interior West Forest Inventory and Analysis (IW-FIA) program measures forestland conditions at great extent with relatively high spatial resolution, including the collection of tree-ring data. We describe the development of an unprecedented spatial tree-ring data set for the IW-FIA that enhances the baseline plot data by incorporating ring-width increment measured from increment cores collected on IW-FIA plots. Whereas the IW-FIA program has used increment cores consistent with traditional forestry (stand age, site index, and vigor), there are key differences in sampling approaches between foresters and dendrochronologists. We describe a framework for preparation, interpretation, and archiving of the IW-FIA tree rings. Early results suggest that the data produced by this framework are useful for growth-and-yield studies, stand dynamics, and dendroclimatology. We discuss the potential for tree-ring data to become a standard component of the FIA program. We also compare and contrast the applications and procedures of dendrochronology with the FIA approach and show how the two sources of data complement one another.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDeRose, Robert J.; Shaw, John D.; Long, James N. 2017. Building the Forest Inventory and Analysis Tree-Ring Data set. Journal of Forestry. 115(4): 283-291.
Keywordsdendrochronological principles, dendroclimatology, dendroecology, forest inventory, tree-ring science
- Understory vegetation data quality assessment for the Interior West Forest and Inventory Analysis program
- Spatiotemporal patterns of ring-width variability in the northern interior west
- Using inventory-based tree-ring data as a proxy for historical climate: Investigating the Pacific decadal oscillation and teleconnections
XML: View XML