Differentiation of Corynespora cassiicola and Cercospora sp. in leaf-spot diseases of Hydrangea macrophylla using a PCR-mediated methodAuthor(s): M. T. Mmbaga; L. Mackasmiel; Ned Klopfenstein
Source: Canadian Journal of Plant Science. 95: 711-717.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (278.0 KB)
Corynespora cassiicola and Cercospora sp. have been identified as the most prevalent and destructive leaf-spot pathogens of garden hydrangea [Hydrangea macrophylla (Thunberg) Seringe] in the southeastern USA, but they are often difficult to accurately detect and distinguish because they often occur together in a disease complex with other pathogenic leaf-spot fungi and produce very similar symptoms. This study was conducted to provide diagnostic PCR primers for detecting and distinguishing Corynespora cassiicola and Cercospora sp. among other leaf-spot pathogens of garden hydrangea. Two primer pairs showed specificity to Corynespora cassiicola and one primer pair showed specificity to Cercospora sp., and these primers did not amplify DNA from any other common fungal pathogens associated with hydrangea leaf-spot diseases. Results from this study show that DNA-based diagnostic primers provide a useful tool for pathogen detection/ identification in hydrangea leaf-spot disease, which is an essential step toward understanding disease etiology and developing/applying appropriate disease-management practices in the southeastern USA.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
Mmbaga, M. T.; Kim M.-S.; Mackasmiel, L.; Klopfenstein, N. B. 2015. Differentiation of Corynespora cassiicola and Cercospora sp. in leaf-spot diseases of Hydrangea macrophylla using a PCR-mediated method. Canadian Journal of Plant Science. 95: 711-717.
KeywordsCercospora leaf spot, garden hydrangea, molecular diagnostics, plant disease complex, diagnostic primers
- Soil moisture mediated interaction between Polygonatum biflorum and leaf spot disease
- Whole genome analysis of the koa wilt pathogen (Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. koae) and the development of molecular tools for early detection and monitoring
- Cristulariella moricola associated with foliar blight of Camden white gum ( Eucalyptus benthamii ), a bioenergy crop
XML: View XML