Skip to Main Content
Understory plant biomass dynamics of prescribed burned Pinus palustris standsAuthor(s): C.A. Gonzalez-Benecke; L.J. Samuelson; T.A. Stokes; W.P. Cropper Jr; T.A. Martin; K.H. Johnsen
Source: Forest Ecology and Management
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (780.0 KB)
DescriptionLongleaf pine (Pinus palustris Mill.) forests are characterized by unusually high understory plant species diversity, but models describing understory ground cover biomass, and hence fuel load dynamics, are scarce for this ﬁre-dependent ecosystem. Only coarse scale estimates, being restricted on accuracy
and geographical extrapolation, are available. We analyzed the dynamics of ground cover biomass under different prescribed burning regimes in longleaf pine stands in the southeastern United States. We developed a set of functions to simulate ground cover biomass dynamics in stands of varying age, basal area and ﬁre management history. The subsequent models allow for estimation of ground cover biomass for unburned stands and living woody and herbaceous ground cover biomass for burned stands. Woody ground cover was highly reduced as ﬁre frequency increased, and also affected by stand basal area when time since last burning was longer than two years. Herbaceous ground cover was affected little by burning frequency but was reduced as basal area increased. This novel model system is a useful tool that can be incorporated into ﬁre management and carbon balance models.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationGonzalez-Benecke, C.A.; Samuelson, L.J.; Stokes, T.A.; Cropper Jr, W.P.; Martin, T.A.; Johnsen, K.H. 2015. Understory plant biomass dynamics of prescribed burned Pinus palustris stands. Forest Ecology and Management, Vol. 344: 84-94. 11 p. 10.1016/j.foreco.2015.02.018
KeywordsLongleaf pine, Ground cover, Fire management, Restoration ecology, Modeling
- Plant Communities in Selected Longleaf Pine Landscapes on the Catahoula Ranger District, Kisatchie National Forest, Louisiana
- Description of Vegetation in Several Periodically Burned Longleaf Pine Forests on the Kisatchie National Forest
- Restoring fire-adapted forested ecosystemsresearch in longleaf pine on the Kisatchie National Forest.
XML: View XML