Skip to Main Content
The complete chloroplast genome of common walnut (Juglans regia)Author(s): Yiheng Hu; Keith E. Woeste; Meng Dang; Tao Zhou; Xiaojia Feng; Guifang Zhao; Zhanlin Liu; Zhonghu Li; Peng Zhao
Source: Mitochondrial DNA Part B. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/23802359.2015.1137804
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (327.0 KB)
DescriptionCommon walnut (Juglans regia L.) is cultivated in temperate regions worldwide for its wood and nuts. The complete chloroplast genome of J. regia was sequenced using the Illumina MiSeq platform. This is the first complete chloroplast sequence for the Juglandaceae, a family that includes numerous species of economic importance. The chloroplast genome of J. regia was 160 367 bp in length, with 36.11% GC content. It contains a pair of inverted repeats (26 035 bp) which were separated by a large single copy (89 872 bp) and a small single copy region (18 425 bp). A total of 137 genes were annotated, which included 86 protein-coding genes, three pseudogenes (two ycf15 and one infA), 40 tRNA genes and eight rRNA genes. The neighbour-joining phylogenetic analysis with the reported chloroplast genomes showed that common walnut chloroplasts are most closely related to those of the Fagaceae family.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHu, Yiheng; Woeste, Keith E.; Dang, Meng; Zhou, Tao; Feng, Xiaojia; Zhao, Guifang; Liu, Zhanlin; Li, Zhonghu; Zhao, Peng. 2016. The complete chloroplast genome of common walnut (Juglans regia). Mitochondrial DNA Part B. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/23802359.2015.1137804
KeywordsComplete chloroplast genome, economic tree, Juglans regia
- Completion of the chloroplast genomes of five Chinese Juglans and their contribution to chloroplast phylogeny
- Characterization of the complete chloroplast genome of wheel wingnut (Cyclocarya paliurus), an endemic in China
- Characterization of the complete chloroplast genome of Platycarya strobilacea (Juglandaceae)
XML: View XML