Skip to Main Content
USDA Forest Service National Woodland Owner Survey, 2011-2013: design, implementation, and estimation methodsAuthor(s): Brett J. Butler; Brenton J. Dickinson; Jaketon H. Hewes; Sarah M. Butler; Kyle Andrejczyk; Marla Markowski-Lindsay
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-157. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 43 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (952.0 KB)
Related Research Highlights
Changes in Black Cherry on the Allegheny Plateau
DescriptionThe National Woodland Owner Survey (NWOS) is conducted by the U.S. Forest Service, Forest Inventory and Analysis program to increase the understanding of the attitudes, behaviors, and demographics of private forest and woodland ownerships across the United States. The information is intended to help policy makers, resource managers, educators, service providers, and others interested in the forest and woodland resources of the United States better understand the social context of these lands in order to facilitate more informed opinions and decisions. This report describes the design, implementation, and analysis of data for the NWOS implemented from 2011 through 2013. The NWOS is concerned with three non-overlapping populations of interest: family, corporate, and other private. To simplify the discussion, the focus of this report is on family forest and woodland ownerships, but identical methods were used for the other populations of interest. Results from this research are being published separately. For additional information visit: www.fia.fs.fed.us/nwos. See also dx.doi.org/10.2737/NRS-GTR-157.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationButler, Brett J.; Dickinson, Brenton J.; Hewes, Jaketon H.; Butler, Sarah M.; Andrejczyk, Kyle; Markowski-Lindsay, Marla. 2016. USDA Forest Service National Woodland Owner Survey, 2011-2013: design, implementation, and estimation methods. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-157. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 43 p.
Keywordsfamily forest owners, private forest owners, nonindustrial private forest owners, sampling design, survey, statistical estimation
- Design, implementation, and analysis methods for the National Woodland Owner Survey
- Methods for estimating private forest ownership statistics: revised methods for the USDA Forest Service's National Woodland Owner Survey
- USDA Forest Service National Woodland Owner Survey: national, regional, and state statistics for family forest and woodland ownerships with 10+ acres, 2011-2013
XML: View XML