Skip to Main Content
Forest Products Industry in a Digital Age: A Look at E-Commerce and Social MediaAuthor(s): Iris Montague; Kathryn Arano Gazal; Jan Wiedenbeck; Jean-Gabriel Shepherd
Source: Forest Products Journal. 66(1-2): 49-57.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (973.0 KB)
DescriptionThe business of marketing, promotions in particular, has changed substantially during the past decade. Physical means of promotion (e.g., newspapers, magazines, radio, billboards) have seen a decline, and the use of social media as a marketing tool has increased significantly. While a number of studies regarding the use of social media among Fortune 500 companies have been conducted, very limited information is available regarding social media use in the US forest products industry. This article presents part one of a two-part series and addresses the first three of the following five objectives: (1) identify the type(s) of e-commerce and social media tools forest products companies use, (2) identify and describe the reasons a company chooses to use or not use social media as a marketing tool, (3) identify and describe perceptions held about social media as a marketing tool, (4) examine factors affecting the use of social media marketing in the forest products industry, and (5) examine the effectiveness of social media marketing. The study included a questionnaire that was mailed to US forest products manufacturers in late 2013. Results show that close to 58 percent of respondents currently use some form of social media. The most common social media tool implemented was Facebook. Increasing company exposure and branding were cited as the most important reasons for using social media. Security of sensitive information and the cost of implementing a social media marketing strategy were the top concerns about adopting social media. The information collected from this study can be used in assisting the forest products industry in understanding the social media marketing world and developing an effective social media marketing strategy.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMontague, Iris; Gazal, Kathryn Arano; Wiedenbeck, Jan; Shepherd, Jean-Gabriel. 2016. Forest Products Industry in a Digital Age: A Look at E-Commerce and Social Media. Forest Products Journal. 66(1-2): 49-57.
- Forest products industry in a digital age: Factors affecting social media adoption
- Social media use in the wood products industry: Impact on the consumer purchasing process
- Social network media in the forest products industry: A look at a new way of marketing
XML: View XML