Skip to Main Content
An analysis of U.S. Army Corps of Engineers documents supporting the channelization of the Rio Piedras. Acta Cientifica. 27(1-3).Author(s): Ariel Lugo; C.J. Nytch; M. Ramsey
Source: Acta Cientifica. 27(1-3): 74 p.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: International Institute of Tropical Forestry
PDF: View PDF (0 B)
DescriptionThis paper has three objectives: 1) to provide a synopsis of the content of the reports, documents, data, and arguments used by the Corps to justify the channelization of the Rio Piedras; 2) to evaluate the accuracy of predictions and assumptions used by the Corps to reach conclusions that justify the channelization of the Rio Piedras; and 3) to make a case for the need to reassess the flooding problems in the San Juan Metropolitan Area with an eye to identifying solutions that are both effective and adaptable to evolving social and ecological conditions in the city. Our intent is not to propose any specific solutions to the problem of flood control in the city, but rather to emphasize that until the current course of channelization is thoroughly reviewed and potentially halted, other viable alternatives cannot be seriously debated and vetted for their efficacy.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLugo, A.E.; Nytch, C.J.; Ramsey, M. 2013. An analysis of U.S. Army Corps of Engineers documents supporting the channelization of the Rio Piedras. Acta Cientifica. 27(1-3): 74 p.
Keywordstropical watersheds, urbanization, Puerto Rico, flooding, mitigation
- Hydraulic modeling analysis of the Middle Rio Grande River from Cochiti Dam to Galisteo Creek, New Mexico
- Plants, arthropods, and birds of the Rio Grande [chapter 7]
- Regeneración boscosa en un parque urbano en Río Piedras: recomendaciones para incrementar la biodiversidad
XML: View XML