Skip to Main Content
National best management practices monitoring summary report, program phase-in period fiscal years 2013-2014Author(s): Joan Carlson; Pam Edwards; Todd Ellsworth; Michael Eberle
Source: FS-1070. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 36 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (17.0 MB)
DescriptionThe National BMP Program provides National Core BMPs, standardized monitoring protocols to evaluate implementation and effectiveness of the National Core BMPs, and a data management system to store and analyze the resulting monitoring data. BMP evaluations are completed by interdisciplinary teams of resource specialists and include assessments of whether BMP prescriptions were planned, implemented, and effective at meeting water resource objectives. BMP implementation and BMP effectiveness are rated separately according to a standardized rating system. A composite BMP performance rating based on the implementation and effectiveness ratings is given to evaluations in which both implementation and effectiveness assessments have been completed at the same site. Assigning a rating outcome to each BMP evaluation enables tracking of patterns and trends in BMP performance over time at multiple scales within the agency. In addition, during the field evaluations, information is gathered on site-specific actions or changes in procedures that would improve BMP implementation or effectiveness. This information can be used to adjust management practices to better protect water resources on NFS lands.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCarlson, Joan; Edwards, Pam; Ellsworth, Todd; Eberle, Michael. 2015. National best management practices monitoring summary report, program phase-in period fiscal years 2013-2014. FS-1070. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 36 p.
Keywordsbest management practices, BMP, USDA Forest Service, National Forests
- A new design to evaluate erosion and sediment control
- Status of state forestry best management practices for the southeastern United States
- Development of a Repeatable Regional Protocol for Performance-Based Monitoring of Forestry Best Management Practices
XML: View XML