Skip to Main Content
Tongass National Forest timber demand: projections for 2015 to 2030Author(s): Jean M. Daniels; Michael D. Paruszkiewicz; Susan J. Alexander
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-934. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 53 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.0 MB)
DescriptionProjections of Alaska timber products output; the derived demand for logs, lumber, residues, and niche products; and timber harvest by owner were developed using a trend-based analysis. This is the fifth such analysis performed since 1990 to assist planners in meeting statutory requirements for estimating planning-cycle demand for timber from the Tongass National Forest. Results reflect the consequences of recent changes in Tongass forest policy, the Alaska forest sector, and trends in markets for Alaska products. Demand for Alaska national forest timber currently depends on markets for sawn wood and exports of softwood logs. Three scenarios are presented that display a range of possible future market conditions. The model was most sensitive to changes in Pacific Rim log demand. Areas of uncertainty include the prospect of continuing changes in markets and competition, the impact of the transition to young-growth timber, and the rates of investment in manufacturing in Alaska.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDaniels, Jean M.; Paruszkiewicz, Michael D.; Alexander, Susan J. 2016. Tongass National Forest timber demand: projections for 2015 to 2030. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-934. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 53 p.
KeywordsTongass National Forest, Alaska, forest sector models, lumber, young-growth transition, timber products output.
- Using TPO data to estimate timber demand in support of planning on the Tongass National Forest
- Timber products output and timber harvests in Alaska: projections for 2005-25
- Timber products output and timber harvests in Alaska: projections for 1989-2010.
XML: View XML