Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Social and economic assessment of the Chugach National Forest area.Author(s): Lisa K. Crone; Pat Reed; Julie Schaefers
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-561. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 108 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (1.6 MB)
DescriptionThis is an assessment of the social and economic conditions in the Chugach National Forest area for use as background information for forest planning. Current regional conditions and recent trends are compared and contrasted with state and national conditions and recent trends. Regional employment and income trends in industries that use forest-related resources are detailed with a focus on their relation to forest management. Tourism and recreation is the industry likely to be most influenced by forest management policies. The social and economic conditions in 14 communities, chosen because of their proximity to the forest, also are described. The results of two mail surveys designed to gain a better understanding of the communities’ perceptions of themselves, their views about the management of the forest and other public lands, and the role of these lands in their quality of life also are presented and discussed. The survey results indicate that the communities are interested in the management of the forest and, because of the importance of public land to their quality of life, most wish to be equal partners with management agencies in planning for the future of these lands.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCrone, Lisa K.; Reed, Pat; Schaefers, Julie. 2002. Social and economic assessment of the Chugach National Forest area. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-561. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 108 p
KeywordsChugach National Forest, south-central Alaska, social and economic conditions, communities, community surveys
- Preliminary research findings from a study of the sociocultural effects of tourism in Haines, Alaska.
- Economic, social, and cultural aspects of livestock ranching on the Española and Canjilon Ranger Districts of the Santa Fe and Carson National Forests: a pilot study
- Small rural communities in the inland Northwest: an assessment of small communities in the interior and upper Columbia River basins.
XML: View XML