Skip to Main Content
Microcomputer software for calculating an elk habitat effectiveness index on Blue Mountain winter ranges.Author(s): Mark Hitchcock; Alan Ager
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. GTR-PNW-301. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 13 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (445 KB)
DescriptionNational Forests in the Pacific Northwest Region have incorporated elk habitat standards into Forest plans to ensure that elk habitat objectives are met on multiple use land allocations. Many Forests have employed versions of the habitat effectiveness index (HEI) as a standard method to evaluate habitat. Field application of the HEI model unfortunately is a formidable problem, owing largely to the detailed calculations of "spacing bands" that describe the spatial arrangement of forage and cover areas. This paper describes a DOS microcomputer program that automates the calculation of HEI. "HEICALC" is a simple, menu-driven program that will run on virtually any DOS microcomputer. HEICALC vastly simplifies the task of measuring elk habitat conditions over large areas. It is especially useful in projects where several management alternatives are evaluated for their effects on elk habitat. A floppy diskette containing a copy of the program is distributed with the publication.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHitchcock, Mark; Ager, Alan. 1992. Microcomputer software for calculating an elk habitat effectiveness index on Blue Mountain winter ranges. Gen. Tech. Rep. GTR-PNW-301. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 13 p
KeywordsElk habitat, HEI, wildlife software, Blue Mountains
- Microcomputer software for calculating the western Oregon elk habitat effectiveness index.
- Use of microcomputers for planning and managing silviculture habitat relationships.
- Elk, deer, and cattle: the Starkey Project.
XML: View XML