Skip to Main Content
Efficient Conversion of Lignin to Electricity Using a Novel Direct Biomass Fuel Cell Mediated by Polyoxomethalates at Low TemperaturesAuthor(s): Xuebing Zhao; Junyong Zhu
Source: ChemSusChem 2016, 9, 197 - 207; 13 p.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (14.0 MB)
DescriptionA novel polyoxometalates (POMs) mediated direct biomass fuelcelI (DBFC) was used in this study to directly convert lignin to electricity at low temperatures with high power output and Faradaic efficiency. When phosphomolybdic acid H3PMo12O40 (PMo12) was used as the electron and proton carrier in the anode solution with a carbon electrode, and 02 was directly used as the final electron acceptor under the catalyssis of Pt, the peak power density reached 0.96 mWcm-2, 560 times higher than that of phenol-fueled microbial fuel cells (MFCs). When the cathode reaction was catalyzed by PMo12, the power density could be greatly enhanced to 5 mWcm-2. Continuous operation demonstrated that this novel fuel cell was promising as as table electro chemical power source. Structure analysis of the lignin indicated that the hydroxyl group content was reduced whereas the carbonyl group content increased. Both condensation and depolymerization takes place during the PMo12 oxidation of lignin.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZhao, Xuebing; Zhu, J.Y. 2016. Efficient conversion of lignin to electricity using a novel direct biomass fuel cell mediated by polyoxometalates at low temperatures. ChemSusChem. 9: 197-207.
Keywordsdirect biomass fuel cells, lignins, posphomotybdic acids, polyoxometalates, power density
- Polyoxometalate-mediated lignin oxidation for efficient enzymatic production of sugars and generation of electricity from lignocellulosic biomass
- A composite generator film impregnated with cellulose nanocrystals for enhanced triboelectric performance
- Low-temperature microbial and direct conversion of lignocellulosic biomass to electricity: advances and challenges
XML: View XML