Skip to Main Content
Microcomputer software for calculating the western Oregon elk habitat effectiveness index.Author(s): Alan Ager; Mark Hitchcock
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-303. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 12 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (621 KB)
DescriptionThis paper describes the operation of the microcomputer program HEIWEST, which was developed to automate calculation of the western Oregon elk habitat effectiveness index (HEI). HEIWEST requires little or no training to operate and vastly simplifies the task of measuring HEI for either site-specific project analysis or long-term monitoring of elk habitat. It is especially useful as a project analysis tool where many silvicultural alternatives are evaluated for their effects on elk habitat. The program also can be used to calculate interior habitat and edge length for indices for forest fragmentation. Data to run HEIWEST program can be derived from a GIS or manually input from within the program. A floppy diskette with a copy of the program and sample data is distributed with the publication.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationAger, Alan; Hitchcock, Mark. 1992. Microcomputer software for calculating the western Oregon elk habitat effectiveness index. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-303. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 12 p
KeywordsRoosevelt elk, elk habitat, habitat effectiveness index, wildlife software, western Oregon
- Microcomputer software for calculating an elk habitat effectiveness index on Blue Mountain winter ranges.
- The Starkey project: history, facilities, and data collection methods for ungulate research.
- Elk management in the Northern Region: Considerations in forest plan updates or revisions
XML: View XML