Skip to Main Content
Annual inventory report for Pennsylvania's forests: results from the first two years.Author(s): William H. McWilliams; Carol A. Alerich; Daniel A. Devlin; Tonya W. Lister; Stephen L. Sterner; James A. Westfall
Source: Resour. Bull. NE-156. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 71 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
Download Publication (3.99 MB)
DescriptionIn 2000, the USDA Forest Service's Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program implemented a new system for inventory and monitoring Pennsylvania?s forest resources. The most salient benefit of the new inventory process will be a nearly threefold improvement in timeliness. This report summarizes the results of the first 2 years of annual inventory measurements. The area of forest land in Pennsylvania has remained stable since a previous inventory in 1989. The Keystone State's forests continue to mature as larger trees and an increase in inventory volume were recorded. A separate study of tree seedlings revealed a general lack of regeneration in one-third to one-half of the stands in which regeneration should be adequate.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcWilliams, William H.; Alerich, Carol A.; Devlin, Daniel A.; Lister, Tonya W.; Sterner, Stephen L.; Westfall, James A. 2002. Annual inventory report for Pennsylvania''s forests: results from the first two years. Resour. Bull. NE-156. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 71 p.
Keywordsforest composition, forest health, sustainability, timber volume, tree regeneration
- Annual inventory report for Pennsylvania's forests: results from the first three years
- Assessing Regeneration Adequacy In Pennsylvania's Forests: A Pilot Study
- Sampling forest regeneration across northern U.S. forests: filling a void in regeneration model input
XML: View XML