Skip to Main Content
Forest survey results for higher grade hardwood sawtimberAuthor(s): Roy C. Beltz
Source: Proceedings of the 19th annual hardwood symposium of the Hardwood Research Council: facing uncertain futures and changing rules in the 1990's; 1991 March 10-12; Starkville, MS.Memphis, TN: Hardwood Research Council: 135-145.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (338 KB)
DescriptionThe 1987 Forest Survey of Mississippi shows a slight increase in forest area and a substantial gain in hardwood inventory. Hardwood gains, appearing in all diameter classes, suggest an increase in quality but hardwood users generally believe quality is declining. By our analysis, volume of top quality hardwood declined while volume in other grades increased. Forest Survey grading is conservative when compared with grades assigned by a hardwood specialist.User constraints applied to the survey data base severely limit the amount of "available" quality hardwood. Forest Survey data are available so users can conduct their own analyses.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBeltz, Roy C. 1991. Forest survey results for higher grade hardwood sawtimber. Proceedings of the 19th annual hardwood symposium of the Hardwood Research Council: facing uncertain futures and changing rules in the 1990''s; 1991 March 10-12; Starkville, MS.Memphis, TN: Hardwood Research Council: 135-145.
- Partial harvesting of hardwood sawtimber in Kentucky and Tennessee, 2002–2014
- Is Eastern Hardwood Sawtimber Becoming Scarcer?
- The lack of adequate quality assurance/quality control data hinders the assessment of potential forest degradation in a national forest inventory
XML: View XML