Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
A survey of bioenergy research in Forest Service Research and DevelopmentAuthor(s): Alan W. Rudie; Carl J. Houtman; Les Groom; David L. Nicholls; Junyong Zhu
Source: BioEnergy Research
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (670.0 KB)
Related Research Highlights
Ambrosia Beetles and Bark-Colonizing Weevils Carry Thousand Cankers Disease Fungus
DescriptionForest biomass represents 25–30 % of the annual biomass available in the USA for conversion into bio-based fuels, bio-based chemicals, and bioproducts in general. The USDA Forest Service Research and Development (R&D) has been focused on producing products from forest biomass since its inception in 1905, with direct combustion, solid sawn lumber, pulp and paper, ethanol as fuel, and silvichemicals all among the mission areas of product research and development. The renewed national interest in biomass conversion to fuels and chemicals is supportive of the most critical need of USDA Forest Service R&D, uses for small-diameter trees and other forest biomass that needs to be removed in the fuel mitigation–fire suppression and forest restoration work of the USDA Forest Service. This paper will summarize the recent USDA Forest Service research on direct combustion, fuel pellets, and conversion of forest biomass to ethanol, both as stand-alone biorefinery processes and as an addition to the traditional wood pulping process.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRudie, Alan W.; Houtman, Carl J.; Groom, Leslie H.; Nicholls, David L.; Zhu, J. Y. 2016. A survey of bioenergy research in Forest Service Research and Development. BioEnergy Research. 9(2): 534-547. DOI 10.1007/s12155-016-9731-5
KeywordsWoody biomass . Forest service . Bioenergy . Biorefinery . Prehydrolysis . Gasification . Co-firing
- State of the art in biorefinery in Finland and the United States, 2008
- Paper and pulp output continues to climb in Europe and Russia, but falls in North America : markets for paper, paperboard and woodpulp, 2006-2007
- Integrating separation and conversion - Conversion of biorefinery process streams to biobased chemicals and fuels
XML: View XML