Skip to Main Content
Maine Forests 2013Author(s): George L. McCaskill; Thomas Albright; Charles J. Barnett; Brett J. Butler; Susan J. Crocker; Cassandra M. Kurtz; William H. McWilliams; Patrick D. Miles; Randall S. Morin; Mark D. Nelson; Richard H. Widmann; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-103. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 103 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (14.0 MB)
DescriptionThe third 5-year annualized inventory of Maine's forests was completed in 2013 after more than 3170 forested plots were measured. Maine contains more than 17.6 million acres of forest land, an area that has been quite stable since 1960, covering more than 82 percent of the total land area. The number of live trees greater than 1 inch in diameter are approaching 24.5 billion trees. Aboveground biomass of all live trees has increased slightly since 2008. Over the same period, the average annual volume for tree growth has increased 30 percent and tree mortality has decreased 15 percent. Tree harvest levels have remained flat since 2008.This report also includes detailed information on forest inventory methods and the quality of the estimates found in five tables (Tables A-E). A complete set of data tables and other resources can be found at http://dx.doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RB-103.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcCaskill, George L.; Albright, Thomas; Barnett, Charles J.; Butler, Brett J.; Crocker, Susan J.; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; McWilliams, William H.; Miles, Patrick D.; Morin, Randall S.; Nelson, Mark D.; Widmann, Richard H.; Woodall, Christopher W. 2016. Maine Forests 2013. Resour. Bull. NRS-103. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 103 p.
Keywordsforest resources, volume, regeneration, forest health, forest products, biomass, carbon
XML: View XML