Skip to Main Content
Coupling and reactions of 5- hydroxyconiferyl alcohol in lignin formationAuthor(s): Thomas Elder; Laura Berstis; Gregg T. Beckham; Michael F. Crowley
Source: Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThe catechol alcohols, caffeyl and 5-hydroxyconiferyl alcohol, may be incorporated into lignin either naturally or through genetic manipulation. Due to the presence of o-OH groups, these compounds form benzodioxanes, a departure from the interunit connections found in lignins derived from the cinnamyl alcohols. In nature, lignins composed of caffeyl and 5- hydroxyconiferyl alcohol are linear homopolymers and, as such, may have properties that make them amenable for use in valueadded products, such as lignin-based carbon fibers. In the current work, results from density functional theory calculations for the reactions of 5-hydroxyconiferyl alcohol, taking stereochemistry into account, are reported. Dehydrogenation and quinone methide formation are found to be thermodynamically favored for 5-hydroxyconiferyl alcohol, over coniferyl alcohol. The comparative energetics of the rearomatization reactions suggest that the formation of the benzodioxane linkage is under kinetic control. Ring-opening reactions of the benzodioxane groups show that the bond dissociation enthalpy of the α-O cleavage reaction is lower than that of the β-O reaction. The catechol lignins represent a novel form of the polymer that may offer new opportunities for bioproducts and genetic targets.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationElder, Thomas; Berstis, Laura; Beckham, Gregg T.; Crowley, Michael F. 2016. Coupling and reactions of 5- hydroxyconiferyl alcohol in lignin formation. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, Vol. 64(23): 9 pages.: 4742-4750. 10.1021/acs.jafc.6b02234
Keywords5-hydroxyconiferyl alcohol, coniferyl alcohol, lignin, benzodioxane, stereochemistry
- Radical nature of C- lignin
- Density functional theory study of spirodienone stereoisomers in lignin
- A Brief Introduction to Lignin Structure
XML: View XML