Skip to Main Content
Assessing the Sustainability of Agricultural and Urban Forests in the United StatesAuthor(s): Guy Robertson; Andy Mason
Source: USDA Forest Service FS-1067, 75 pp.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Washington Office
PDF: Download Publication (2.0 MB)
DescriptionThe Forest Service, an agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), published the National Report on Sustainable Forests-2010 (USDA Forest Service 2011) (hereafter, National Report) several years ago and will be releasing a subsequent version of the report in 2017. Based on the Montreal Process Criteria and Indicators for Forest Sustainability, the National Report provides information on a comprehensive range of measures related to forest conditions and sustainability in the United States. Two important categories of forest resources-agricultural and urban forests-are not treated directly in the National Report, however.
The current report is designed to augment the National Report by focusing on agricultural and urban forest resources within the context of national forest sustainability reporting. The report provides (1) a brief description of the benefits accruing from these resources; (2) displays and analyses of currently available data describing them, particularly at the national level; and (3) a discussion of potential strategies for developing consistent national datasets and ongoing reporting procedures. The ultimate aim is to lay the foundation for reporting information about agricultural and urban forests that is roughly comparable with the information presented for conventional forests in the National Report and that can be incorporated into the Forest Service’s ongoing forest sustainability reporting activities.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRobertson, Guy; Mason, Andy (eds.). 2016. Assessing the Sustainability of Agricultural and Urban Forests in the United States. USDA Forest Service, Washington, DC, FS-1067. 75 pages.
- Research and development portfolio of the sustainability science team national sustainable operations USDA Forest Service
- Greenhouse gas emissions and removals from forest land and urban trees in the United States, 1990-2017
- Strategic National Urban Forest Inventory for the United States
XML: View XML