Skip to Main Content
Effects of mesh bag enclosure and termites on fine woody debris decomposition in a subtropical forestAuthor(s): Allison M. Stoklosa; Michael D. Ulyshen; Zhaofei Fan; Morgan Varner; Sebastian Seibold; Jorg Muller
Source: Basic and Applied Ecology
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (802.0 KB)
DescriptionThe role of insects in terrestrial decomposition remains poorly resolved, particularly for infrequently studied substrates like small diameter woody debris. Uncertainty about how mesh bags used to exclude arthropods may affect decomposition rates continues to impede progress in this area. We sought to (1) measure how insects affect the decomposition of small diameter tweigs and (2) test for unintended effects of mesh bags on wood decomposition using machined wooden dowels of similar size and specific gravity.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStoklosa, Allison M.; Ulyshen, Michael D.; Fan, Zhaofei; Varner, Morgan; Seibold, Sebastian; Muller, Jorg. 2016. Effects of mesh bag enclosure and termites on fine woody debris decomposition in a subtropical forest. Basic and Applied Ecology, Vol. 17(5): 8 pages.: 463-470 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.baae.2016.03.001
KeywordsTermites, fine woody debris, wood decomposition
- Interacting effects of insects and flooding on wood decomposition.
- Influence of shredder feeding and nutrients on fungal activity and community structure in headwater streams
- Assessing the effects of mesh enclosures on invertebrates and litter breakdown in a floodplain forest of the southeastern USA
XML: View XML