Review of the West Indian Arachnocoris Scott, 1881 (Hemiptera: Nabidae), with descriptions of two new species, and a catalog of the speciesAuthor(s): Javier E. Mercado; Jorge A. Santiago-Blay; Michael D. Webb
Source: Life: The Excitement of Biology. 4(1): 32-71.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
Related Research Highlights
Two New Species of Spider Mimicking Kleptoparasitic Bugs from the West Indies
We review the West Indian species of Arachnocoris, a genus of spider-web dwelling kleptoparasitic nabids. We recognize five species: A. berytoides Uhler from Grenada, A. darlingtoni n. sp. from Hispaniola, A. karukerae Lopez-Moncet from Guadeloupe, A. portoricensis n. sp. from Puerto Rico, and A. trinitatis Bergroth from Trinidad. West Indian Arachnocoris antennal and profemoral color banding patterns are useful diagnostic characters and may have evolved to mimic their spider hosts, which are often island endemic spiders in the family Pholcidae. We provide a simplified and illustrated key to the species based on external characters. A catalog for the 16 recognized species of Arachnocoris is presented.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
Mercado, Javier E.; Santiago-Blay, Jorge A.; Webb, Michael D. 2016. Review of the West Indian Arachnocoris Scott, 1881 (Hemiptera: Nabidae), with descriptions of two new species, and a catalog of the species. Life: The Excitement of Biology. 4(1): 32-71.
KeywordsHemiptera, Nabidae, Arachnocoris, new species, Neotropical, West Indies
- The world species of Balcha Walker (Hymenoptera: Chalcidoidea: Eupelmidae), parasitoids of wood-boring beetles
- A new species of bark beetle, Dendroctonus mesoamericanus sp nov. (Curculionidae: Scolytinae), in southern Mexico and Central America
- The genus Enlinia Aldrich in Chile (Diptera: Dolichopodidae), with the description of four new species
XML: View XML