Economics and societal considerations of droughtAuthor(s): Jeff Prestemon; Linda Kruger; Karen L. Abt; Michael Bowker; Consuelo Brandeis; Dave Calkin; Geoffrey H. Donovan; Charlotte Ham; Thomas P. Holmes; Jeffrey Kline; Travis Warziniack
Source: In: J. Vose, J. Clark, C. Luce, and T. Patel-Weynand. Effects of Drought on Forests and Rangelands in the United States: A Comprehensive Science Synthesis. Forest Service General Technical Report WO-93b, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Washington, DC
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (635.0 KB)
The economic and social effects of drought are diverse and related to physical characteristics of drought, including spatial extent, severity, duration, and frequency that combine to determine drought’s overall effects on society. Most of the attention given to economic and social impacts of drought focuses on adverse consequences, but technology, public policies, economic activity, and social systems are largely adapted to the historical occurrence of drought-at least within the normal range. This chapter covers traditional impacts from drought, and also highlights possible adaptations, noting when adaptation may be difficult due to growing stresses on water resources in response to changes in global climate and regional demographics.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPrestemon, Jeffrey P.; Kruger, Linda; Abt, Karen L.; Bowker, J. M.; Brandeis, Consuelo; Calkin, David E.; Donovan, Geoffrey H.; Ham, Charlotte; Holmes, Thomas P.; Kline, Jeffrey; Warziniack, Travis. 2016. Economics and societal considerations of drought. In: Vose, J.; Clark, J.; Luce, C.; Patel-Weynand, T. Effects of Drought on Forests and Rangelands in the United States: A Comprehensive Science Synthesis. General Technical Report WO-93b. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. p. 253-281.
- Effects of drought on forests and rangelands in the United States: a comprehensive science synthesis
- Rangeland drought: Effects, restoration, and adaptation [Chap. 8]
- Future socio-economic impacts and vulnerabilities
XML: View XML