Skip to Main Content
Minnesota Forests 2013Author(s): Patrick D. Miles; Curtis L. VanderSchaaf; Charles Barnett; Brett J. Butler; Susan J. Crocker; Dale D. Gormanson; Cassandra M. Kurtz; Tonya W. Lister; William H. McWilliams; Randall S. Morin; Mark D. Nelson; Charles H. (Hobie) Perry; Rachel I. Riemann; James E. Smith; Brian F. Walters; Jim Westfall; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Resource Bulletin NRS-104. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 134 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (19.0 MB)
DescriptionThe third full annual inventory of Minnesota forests reports 17.4 million acres of forest land with an average live tree volume of 1,096 cubic feet per acre. Forest land is dominated by the aspen forest type, which occupies 29 percent of the total forest land area. Twenty-eight percent of forest land consists of sawtimber, 35 percent poletimber, 36 percent sapling/seedlings, and 1 percent is nonstocked. The average annual net growth of live trees on forest land is approximately 398 million cubic feet per year while average annual removals are only 207 million cubic feet per year. Additional forest attribute and forest health information is presented, along with information on agents of change including changing land use patterns and the introduction of nonnative plants, insects, and disease. Information from the Private Woodland Owner and Timber Products Output surveys is included along with 50-year projections from the Northern Forest Futures study. Detailed information on forest inventory methods, data quality estimates, and important resource statistics are available online at http://dx.doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RB-104.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMiles, Patrick D.; VanderSchaaf, Curtis L.; Barnett, Charles; Butler, Brett J.; Crocker, Susan J.; Gormanson, Dale; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; Lister, Tonya W.; McWilliams, William H.; Morin, Randall S.; Nelson, Mark D.; Perry, Charles H.; Riemann, Rachel I.; Smith, James E.; Walters, Brian F.; Westfall, James A.; Woodall, Christopher W. 2016. Minnesota Forests 2013. Resource Bulletin NRS-104. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 134 p.
Keywordsinventory, forest statistics, forest health, timberland, forest land, biomass, volume, growth, mortality, removals
XML: View XML