Skip to Main Content
Known breeding distribution and abundance of golden eagles in Eastern North AmericaAuthor(s): Francois Morneau; Junior A. Tremblay; Charles Todd; Tony E. Chubbs; Charles Maisonneuve; Jerome Lemaitre; Todd Katzner
Source: Northeastern Naturalist 22(2): 236-247.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (537.0 KB)
DescriptionAquila chrysaetos (Golden Eagle) breeds in both eastern and western North America. However, the former population has received much less attention than the latter. The purpose of this paper is to document the known distribution and abundance of eastern Golden Eagles within their breeding range and to identify gaps in knowledge for future studies. Eastern Golden Eagles breed in Labrador, Québec, and Ontario, Canada. The species has been extirpated as a breeder from the eastern US. In 2013, 187 Golden Eagle territorial pairs were documented in eastern Canada. Most territorial pairs occur in Québec (65.8%) and Labrador (26.7%). However, probably less than 16% of the total area of these regions has been surveyed. Based on the number of pairs observed and the proportion of area surveyed, we estimate that the total number of territorial pairs of eastern Golden Eagles to be ~1236. The large area of unsurveyed landscapes and the corresponding lack of precision of the estimate highlight an important next step for future research.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMorneau, Francois; Tremblay, Junior A.; Todd, Charles; Chubbs, Tony E.; Maisonneuve, Charles; Lemaitre, Jerome; Katzner, Todd. 2015. Known breeding distribution and abundance of golden eagles in Eastern North America. Northeastern Naturalist 22(2): 236-247.
- Nesting pair density and abundance of ferruginous hawks (Buteo regalis) and golden eagles (Aquila chrysaetos) from aerial surveys in Wyoming
- Integrating citizen-science data with movement models to estimate the size of a migratory golden eagle population
- Wintering Golden Eagles on the coastal plain of South Carolina
XML: View XML